Country Decor - Adds Casual, Cozy Charm To Your Kitchen by Bonnie P. Carrier
When you hear “Country Decorating” what comes to mind. Words like Casual, Warm and Relaxing, these are words that describe a room that says “ Welcome”
No where do these words and decorating style fit best than the kitchen, after all it’s where many of us spend quality time with friends and family.
What you will find in Country Kitchens are warm colors like Reds, Blues, Greens and Creamy Whites.
Lots of wood whether it’s the cabinets or separate pieces like dinning tables, hutches or storage cabinets. The wood types are normally pine or oak. They can be natural or painted a country color.
Check yard sales and flea markets for old tables, chairs and benches then bring them home, clean them up and paint in your choice of color.
Rod Iron is another favorite material in Country decorating. This can include Pot Racks, Multi-Arm Chandeliers, plate racks hung on the wall or racks for hanging coats, dried flowers, herbs or baskets.
Homespun type fabric is another Country must have. Dish towels, table cloths, napkins and seat cushions. Now homespun does not necessarily mean checks, solid colors like warm reds, blues, greens and creamy whites will also work.
Country Art: A quick and easy way to bring the Country Decorating look to your kitchen by hanging Country related art on the walls. This is a great way to spruce up your walls if your not in the market for doing a complete new paint or wallpapering job.
Pictures that feature flowers, old kitchen ware, distressed furniture, fruit and of course farm animals will add lots of country charm.
Area Rugs: If you have an eat-in kitchen there is nothing better than sitting down at the table an placing your feet on a cushy rug. This is an opportunity to add some extra warmth, color and texture to your new Country Kitchen.
Braided rugs are probably the most common rug for Country Decorating, however any style and shape will work fine. There are many to choose from with patterns that include fruit motifs, floral, roosters and solid colors.
Set A Country Table: Animal Motifs or Country Colors like green, blue, yellow and red. Use patterned and plain color sets separately or mix and match for a unique look. Finish off with coordinating placemats and napkins, then set a worn looking crock filled with silk flower in the center of the table
More Country Kitchen Accessories: Finish off your Country Kitchen look with more down home accessories. Below is a list of a few more of those country favorites
- Yellow Ware Mixing Bowls These are so beautiful they can be left out on the counter for everyone to admire.
- Two or Three Tired Baskets Use them on the counter for all those little items that have a way of cluttering up space. Fill the baskets with faux fruit and ivy for a cute centerpiece on the table.
- Baskets Wooden, woven or wire make great decorating accessories. Lined up on a shelf, hung from hooks, placed on the wall in various sizes or used for storage.
- Wreaths Hang a grapevine or straw wreaths decorated with flowers or fruit in the windows, on cabinet doors or a large one placed by itself on the wall will give a country feel to the room .
- Fruit Molds I’m sure your Mom or Grandmother had these copper molds in her kitchen, I know mine did. Well they are still available and make the perfect Country Accessory. Even if you never use them several hung on the wall look great.
- Dress your windows in Country Cafe Curtains, Tab-Top Drapes or Shutters work really well in the Country Kitchen. Choose colors to coordinate with your room in plaids, stripes or solids.
- Glass Apothecary Jars Use them as unique canisters, fill them with snacks, brightly colored beans, pasta or potpourri. Lined up on the counter or a shelf they make a definite decorating statement.
- Candles and Potpourri Fresh Apple, Apple Spice, Pumpkin and Cinnamon. Whether it’s a candle burning with a warm glow or a wooden bowl filled with decorative potpourri sitting on the counter, hutch or table, fill your kitchen with delicious scents that will make every ones mouth water.
If warmth, casual and cozy are the feelings you wish to express in your kitchen, say it with Country Decor.
About The Author: Bonnie P. Carrier is the creator of Savvy Home Decorating - The Information Center. She is the mother to two grown daughters and a very spoiled Blue Merle Sheltie named Toby. www.savvy-home-decorating.com
This article is shareware. Give this article away for free on your site, or include it as part of any paid package as long as the entire article and author’s bio. is left intact including this notice. Copyright © 2008 bonnie carrier